A 4x4 jungle adventure in Costa Rica
- Round trip
- 14 or 15 nights
- Costa Rica
- per person
- based on 2 persons
With this offer, you can get a partial refund if you cancel up to 15 days before your check-in date.
If your check-in date is less than 15 days away, you will not be eligible for a refund, however this might improve depending on your selection. Please check before booking.
Explore the best of Costa Rica on a 4x4 road trip incl. breakfast, 2 days full-board, rental car, transport, activities and flights!
Costa Rica is a true bucket-list destination. On this 13-night adventure, enjoy the sights and sounds of tropical rainforests where brightly coloured parrots fly freely around the treetops. Trek impressive volcanoes and bathe in thermal waters, before heading to the beach to breathe in the fresh scent of the Pacific Ocean. With your included four-wheel drive, experience a Central American road trip including six of the best spots in Costa Rica, from luscious jungle to exotic beach! What are you waiting for? Get ready to experience la Pura Vida.
4x4 adventure Costa Rica - 13 Nights
Bed & Breakfast
Half board on days 2 and 3
Activity program in Tortuguero (days 2, 3 and 4)
Transportation on days 1-4
Rental car (4x4) on days 4-14
Return flight from Birmingham, Glasgow, London Heathrow, Manchester to San José
Please note that there may be an additional night(s) in transit due to flight schedules.
Day 1: San José
Welcome to Costa Rica - the land of exotic beaches, imposing volcanoes and some of the world's lushest rainforests. You will arrive in the vibrant capital, San José, where you will be picked up at the airport and taken to your first hotel. Spend your first evening in Costa Rica relaxing and …
Day 2-3: Tortuguero
After a good night's rest, you will be picked up bright and early for the first leg of your journey to the Tortuguero National Park. Travelling by bus, along the way you will pass through the beautiful Braulio Carillo National Park, which offers majestic mountains, green jungles and wild riv…
Day 4-5: La Fortuna
On day 4, you'll be heading to La Fortuna, to explore the wonders of the Arenal Volcano. You will be driven to Guancimo, where you will have lunch and then pick up your rental car for the rest of your trip!
The Arenal Volcano area is a natural wonderland for adventurers. Active sinc…
Day 6-7: Monteverde
On Day 6, it's time to head out on a jungle adventure in Monteverde, one of the world's most famous cloud forests. You'll drive around 110 kilometres to Monteverde, where you will be on your own schedule. Spend the rest of the day exploring the wondrous, humid canopies of the rainfor…
Day 8-9: Rincon de la Vieja
Today you will hit the open road for the 130-kilometre drive to Rincon de la Viejavil National Park. Here you can explore Rincon de la Viejavil Volcano, the most active volcano in Costa Rica, with the surrounding volcanic area consisting of six eruptive centres and two craters. Upon arrival at y…
Day 10-12: Tamarindo
After all of your jungle adventures, on day 10, it's time to head to the beach. You will drive 130 kilometres to Tamarindo, a cosy coastal town on the Pacific coast. Spend the next few days lazing by the beach, snorkelling, fishing or horseriding in the beautiful, wild surroundings. For more…
Day 13: San José
On day 13 you will travel 260 kilometres back to San José, where you spend one last night in the capital. Depending on when your flight departs on day 14, you have some time to explore San José. Catch the last glimpse of the stunning colonial-style buildings, the chaotic traffic, the local marke…
Optional excursions are available to make your trip even more spectacular. All excursions can be booked and paid for during the booking process. You will receive all practical information before departure.
• Hanging Bridges in Arenal (day 5 - 5 hours - min age 5) • Experience the amazing flora and fauna of this hike that goes along jungle trails and 15 dizzying suspension bridges. You will be followed by an English-speaking nature guide who will teach you about the fascinating tropical rainforest, and which will show you beautiful views of the Arenal Volcano.
• Pedal boarding in Arenal (day 5 - 5 hours - min age 8) • Are you into adventure, nature and water sports? Then pedal boarding is for you! On a pedalboard (not to be confused with a SUP board!) you feel as though you are walking on water across Lake Arenal. Along the way, your guide will teach you about the nature and wildlife of the area.
• Canopy Tour of Monteverde's treetops (day 7 or 8 - 5 hours - min age 8) • Head out on an unforgettable trip to the heart of the cloud forest, where you will fly between the treetops along zip lines. Play Tarzan and swing between the tops of the trees, and look forward to the 600-metre final line for a truly exhilarating experience.
• Boat trip in Tamarindo's mangrove forest (day 11 or 12 - 5 hours - min age 8) • Tamarindo National Park protects a large area of mangrove forests and tropical dry forests in an area of almost 400 hectares. This boat trip allows you to observe the rare wildlife - including dozens of bird species and various species of monkeys, crocodiles and iguanas.
• Catamaran sailing trip in Tamarindo (day 11 or 12 - 5 hours - min age 4) • Sail off to the open horizon as you pass exotic bays, white sandy beaches and tropical jungles. Relax with a cold drink in your hand and enjoy views of the ocean, where you may be lucky to see dolphins, sea turtles and flying fish. Along the way, you can snorkel in the blue sea water or laze on one of the white sandy beaches. Onboard the catamaran you will be served snacks and light dishes excl. drinks.
- Rental car deposit ($150, payable at destination)
- One-way rental fee ($30-55)
- Fuel, parking costs, tolls and bridges
- Entrance fees to national parks (approximately $10-15 per park)
- ESTA (entry permit) in case of a stopover in the US
If you book this deal before 35 days of your departure, you can choose to pay in parts. The deposit will be 50% of the deal’s price plus the booking fee and travel and/or cancellation insurance (when applicable). You will find the payment amounts and deadlines to pay every installment at the last step of the booking process.
Your booking is a direct contract between you and Secret Escapes Ltd. for the provision of your package. Secret Escapes acts as a tour operator responsible, and is therefore liable for the proper execution of the agreement. The Secret Escapes Terms and Conditions (A) apply to this booking. The Secret Escapes Cancellation Terms and Conditions apply to this booking.
Please note that the flights included in this offer are subject to live availability and price, and can change during your booking process. When this is the case, we will always notify during the booking process.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be additional entry requirements in effect at your destination, which are subject to change at short notice. Please familiarise yourself with the latest requirements before departure via your government's foreign advice service.
|Rental car information||
You will get a Suzuki Jimmy or similar depending on the size of your party.
Deposit: The primary driver must own a credit card in their own name with an amount available to cover a maximum deposit of £2500. Debit cards can not be accepted.
Driver: The primary driver must be at least 21 years old and hold a valid driver's license valid for at least two years prior. Drivers aged between 21 and 24 will be charged an additional fee of $15 per day during the rental period. Extra drivers cost $10 per driver.
Insurance: full insurance, non-life insurance, third party liability insurance, theft insurance, glass cover, tires, undercarriage and roof is included.
Max 3 people in a The 4x4 Costa Rica Adventure - 13 Nights - Standard
The single supplement is based on travel dates and duration of travel. You will see the final price in the booking process.
On the basis of two full-paying adults, a discount for children is offered dependent on the chosen travel dates and length of stay. You will see the applicable discount in the final booking process. Please note: children up to 12 months old receive a discount on the plane ticket, but will not receive a seat or baggage allowance.
Unfortunately, cots are not available throughout this trip.
Pets are not permitted on this trip due to international plane travel.
Parking may be charged at some of the hotels.
Please note that flights may be subject to change, delay or postponement by the provider and that flight times are provisional. Don't forget to check the actual flight times before departure on the website of the airline or the airport to avoid inconvenient surprises.
You will receive all documents relevant to your trip, 5 days prior to departure at the latest.
In the booking process you can see if you have a stopover in the USA. If this is the case, an entry permit (ESTA) must be applied for. The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) charges an administration fee and the entry permit must be sought in good time. For more information, visit the official gov.uk website.
Your passport must be valid for six months upon arrival in Costa Rica. For up-to-date information, visit the official gov.uk website.
British citizens do not need a visa to travel to Costa Rica for tourism for up to 90 days.
All travellers should be up to date with primary courses and boosters. Vaccinations usually recommended for travel to Costa Rica include Hepatitis A. Consult your doctor or the NHS travel advice website for more information.
The national currency of Costa Rica is the Costa Rican colón (CRC)
Activities as well as transportation from days 1 - 4 may be in groups of international travellers.
The specified itinerary is subject to change in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
Please note that the quality standards of hotels, facilities, transportation and roads may differ from Europe.
Due to COVID-19, there may be additional entry requirements in effect at your destination which may change at short notice, including the need to show proof of having tested negative for, or having had a certified vaccination against, COVID-19. It is your responsibility to ensure you can satisfy these requirements before booking so please familiarise yourself with the latest requirements before booking via your government's foreign advice service at www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice.